Q. [Abstract] What did you do and why was it important to you? What were your main findings from the project? What were your main findings from the project?
For the final product, I decided to make a website using Wix. Since I need to explain the collaboration of biology & physics and my 3D model of imaginary instrument, I thought that posters or infographics would be too limited for the project. My website is basically like a research website that future scientists, engineers, or even sponsors can access to. The website’s goal is to inform the combination of biology and physics (technically engineering) and further technology that could conduct experiments on my research question: “How Can Electricity Conducted from Plants be Helpful in Collecting Organic Information?”
As I mentioned in previous blog posts, I was interested in this topic because I’m planning to study bioengineering when I go to college. This project is very meaningful for me because there are not many chances for biology major students to work on projects or experiments with physics. During this project, I learned anew that science is always combined with all the departments (physics, chemistry, biology) when humans come up with inventing something. As my research question is directly related with more than two science fields, I realized that weaving different science information and explaining those in an easy way was quite difficult. It also took time for me to understand the biochemical process that goes through plant physiology, and the physics behind the instrument that I wanted to invent. After this process, I learned that engineers and scientists on professional fields are great scholars, and there is a lot of time & effort behind the convenience that we enjoy in daily life.
Q. What were the main challenges for you doing this project? What were your strengths and what were your weaknesses?
During this project, I had some challenges that I had to overcome. First, I had all my other subjects’ projects due on this week so I couldn’t manage my time well. Especially, the projects were all making videos and editing, which made me lose my energy and sleep less than usual. However, I’m fine with that now because those projects are due at the same time and I can only focus on my final semester exam! Hooray!! Another challenge that I faced was technical skills. As I mentioned in my second blog post, it was my first time to build a 3D model by using an entirely new app. Everything including controlling the mouse, labeling, and building up was a giant mountain for me to climb. However, as I practiced using the app for several days, I eventually got used to it, and now I have an awesome imaginary instrument for my project 🙂
One thing that I can say what I improved from this project was being more creative and critical thinking. I researched and asked for help when I made up my project idea for the environment project. However, this project’s idea (bioengineering) flashed across my mind and I gradually added on my creativity throughout the session. Although I got help on using a 3D model app from Jihwan, I think this project was a great opportunity for myself to get over my weakness: technology skill and creativity.
Q. Finally, my website is linked below. I hope you enjoy!