Ecodome Reflection – Day 43

December 14th, 2016

This is our last trial for our ecodome project. This trial is our last and longest trial as this trial will last for the whole winterbreak.

Observations:

Quantitative –

  • 3 plants
  • 2 grasshoppers
  • Around 8 stones

Qualitative –

  • All the plants are very green
  • The soil is humid
  • The container is infront of the window

We have only made minor changes as we thought our last trial went well. So we decided to keep most of the components. We only changed the one plant as one them died last time, and we changed it to a different type of plant.

Ecodome Reflection – Day 35

December 6th, 2016

Components:

  • 3 plants
  • 2 petri dishes
  • stones

Observations:

Quantitative:

  • 3/3 plants survived
  • Both crickets died
  • There was no water left on both petri dishes

Qualitative:

  • The soil was very moist
  • There was less water on the sides of the container than the less trial
  • The plants were the same color as it was.

Conclusion:

For this trial we have mostly have changed our water source. We have decided to take out the container with our water and replace it with petri dishes with water. This was done as the grasshoppers probably died of humidity on our last trial as we had A LOT of water. This was our last trial before our big trial (during the whole winter break) so we decided to try this way, and if it didn’t work we decided to go back to our old way. But we believed this was a better design and decided to keep it this way for our longest and last trial.

Ecodome Reflection – Day 23

November 25th, 2016

For this trial, we are leaving it for a whole week as we have WWW.

(We lost the pictures for this trial.)

Components:

  • 3 plants
  • 1 container filled with water
  • stones

Observations: 

Quantitative:

  • 1 plant died
  • All the water in both petri dishes evaporated
  • Both of our grasshoppers died

Qualitative:

  • There was a lot of water on the side of the container
  • We couldn’t find our dead grasshoppers

Changes to make:

  • Amount of water
  • Change type of the plant of the plant that died

Conclusion:

As grasshoppers are found eating mostly plants, we decided to add bigger plants and take out the unnecessary food (peppers) that we added for the last trial. For the next trial we are planning to change the type of plant as we had 3 different types of plant and one could not survive.

Ecodome Reflection – Day 12

Day 12 – November 14th

Pictures of Ecodome

Components:

  • Container with around 350ml of water
  • 3 plants
  • 5 small peppers
  • Tissue paper soaked in water

Observations:

Quantitative:

  • One out of 2 of our grasshoppers died
  • None of the peppers were consumed (5)
  • All 3 of our plants survived
  • About 150ml water was left in the container at the side

Qualitative:

  • The container smelled like rotten plants and dead bugs
  • Very foggy with a lot of droplets of water around the container
  • The food had rotten a bit
  • We couldn’t find the dead grasshopper

Changes to make:

  • Amount of water (Less)
  • Food source (Just plants)
  • Add petri dishes
  • Take out the container with water

Video of Conclusion

 

 

 

 

Ecodome Reflection – Day 1

Day 1 – November 2nd

For this project we are building ecodomes, ecodomes are self-sustainable environment, where nothing goes neither in or out.  We are trying to help the cricket(s) or grasshopper(s) survive during the winter break. To do this, we have planned it out and are going to do multiple trials.

A3 Design

screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-12-18-22-pm

Design Componenets 

  • Soil – An inch high and width of ¾ of the container for a place to plant the plants.
  • 3 or 4 plants – to provide oxygen for the insects.
  • 2 crickets – just in case one doesn’t survive the other has a chance of surviving.
  • Paper towels wet with water placed in the enclosure as crickets can drown easily + a bit of standing water beside the soil.  
  • Some pebbles/rocks – to give an animal a cool place to stay and to separate the water and soil.
  • A medium amount of food – Again as we can’t open the container, and because it may die of overeating or starvation.
  • Food = Rotting plants and fruits as they like rotting plants and they are omnivores they eat plants and pretty much everything.

Changes made on design day:

  • We added a plastic container on one side, ⅓ of the way filled with water.
  • We added the banana peels, for a good fertilizer.
  • Added a lot more wet paper towels for the cricket’s water source than we planned.
  • We took away worms as a food source for the insects.  
  • We changed the type of plant as we were going to use 3 tall plants we decided to add one tall one and a lot of small and short plants.