If you have not done so yet, please bring in any old t-shirts you have at home tomorrow. Any size or color will do! These will be used for an art project for younger students. Thanks!
Highlights for the Week:
- We are back from Cat Tien! It was an amazing trip that included moon bears, gibbons, shooting stars, barking deer, bonfires, and songs. We're so glad every student from our class got to go! We will be connecting our trip to the rest of the unit about sustainability, so talk to your child about Cat Tien and how it connects to our new unit!
- We are excited to work with our visiting artist, Lee Tracy this week! She will help us make a mural called, "Hate Ruins Everything," which will be on display after it's finished. We will also work on individual art pieces called "Demandments."
- In math, we will begin learning about fractions, and how to add and subtract unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- In literacy, we will focus on expository and persuasive texts, and learn how to better identify the texts we are reading. We will also note the key language used in these types of text so we can use them in our writing.
- In unit studies, we are focusing on Sustainability Thinking. We will learn about the process of considering how our daily choices affect our environment. Students will generate ideas for a proposal for making a sustainable change at SSIS.
Connecting with Specialists:
In art class students will work with our visiting artist, Lee Tracy They can tell or even show you what they did at home! You can also ask your child to tell you about their spray-painting of their 2-D to 3-D figures, and what they liked about spray-painting.
In music, students are learning about guitars! They're working on fingers, strumming, frets, and E minor chord. Use this link for practice at home.
In PE, students are finishing up scooter games. Talk with your child about the games they played and how they worked in their teams.
February 28: Innovate SSIS 3:30- 6:30. All parents and students are welcome!
Thanks for all you do!
Erin Johnson and Ms. Kim