In science class, we had water filter project, which is to figure out the way to filter the water from river and make it possible to drink it. Therefore, in a group, we had to make it ph of 7, get rid of salt, sediment and its turbidity, low. To do this, we had two different design for water filteration. The prior result had ph of 3, 600 ppm of copper, and very low amount of sediment in it, also quite a lot of amount of salt. For the first attempt, there were some changes, such as ppm, which went down from 660 to 350, and sediment that are no longer visible. However, acidity was still 3, which we had to improve. The second attempt, there weren't any improvement, but it got a little worse. The ph was 3, and the ppm was 450-600 which was higher than the last time. Our last attempt, we improved a lot after designing a new one, which had ph of 3, and ppm of 100-200. Its turbidity was extremely low, and it also had the least amount of salt out of 4 attempts.
Link to the video
Materials we used to make our water filter was a plastic bottle, gravel, dirt, charcoal, cloth and plastic cups that are recycled. For the first attempt, we didn’t include charcoal, but only sand, gravel and cloth, and the result was pretty bad since we had high level of ppm, ph, but only that the turbidity was low. By researching, it was that dirt and sand got rid of small particles, but we did not think deeply enough with ph and ppm.
For our second attempt, we included charcoal, since we searched for something that could get rid of ph and ppm, and we could find that charcoal get rid of all of those.
For the third one, we kept the same design, and the result didn’t come out that impressive. Therefore, for our last attempt we added gravel, and we could get very low level of ppm, turbidity, and ph.
What we need to focus on next time is that we need to research more specifically to find a way to get rid of even small and specific parts.
Some problems we had was that our group sometimes forgot to fill out the document, and record things right away. However, we all listened to each other’s ideas and tried to work together.