Basically, this is a project where we are trying to make the mystery water drinkable. The requirement for this project was to remove all the contaminants in the water (that includes salt, copper, and sediment). The water must fall between 6-8pH and we have to use materials that would be available to people in rural Vietnamese villages or on a limited budget.
Our first ideas for this project was to get an empty plastic water bottle and first plug the place where you usually screw the cap on with fabric so the sand doesn't fall out. Then, we start filling it in with sand, charcoal, gravel, and cloth on the cap to filter out small sediments still inside. Next, we would boil the water and somehow make a copper filter.
Our first prototype design managed to make the acid go from 3-4 pH so, that was a good start. Also, the copper lowered by 50 ppm and there was no turbidity left. The problem was that there was still salt in the water and still copper. Next, we decided we would do more research on how to get rid of salt, copper, and make the pH drinkable.
We made a lot of changes in our design. Some worked out well while some just didn't do much difference. Like, we try adding a small filter on top of the cup to filter out the smallest bits of sediment but, it just slowed down the water. I think a change that made a difference in our water filter design project was baking soda because it neutralizes the salt. On the last two trials, we tried using a boiler to try and get rid of salt but, every time there would always be a crack on the bottom of the glass beaker or we are just using the same broken one. I think the boiling does help remove some of the salt. If our group were to continue this project, we would try and remove all the salt and copper again.
Our final results of our prototype actually worked out better than I thought it would. The pH was 7, the copper level was 400 and at least we removed some salt. Also, there was no turbidity in the water.
Overall, I actually liked this project because I learned a lot of things but, I think we should have more time for this project so we can keep improving it. Anyway, this project was really fun trying to make a water filter and doing research about things that can remove everything from the water so it is drinkable.