My partner, Phuc Anh, and I, were assigned to remix a certain scene from the digital story, Inanimate Alice. The digital story, Inanimate Alice, included several different modes (interactions, music/sounds, images and text) in the story, and we had to change a scene to improve and enhance it and make it seem more interesting. The story itself, we thought, was suspenseful and thrilling after reading it, so we decided to keep the same mood and theme but just changing the modes.
We picked out the scenes, Driving (scene # 8) and GPS (scene # 9), and combined them together into one. We used the program scratch to create and remix the scenes. We wanted the audience to have the chance to interact more with the different scenes and so we took the basic idea of scene # 9 and modified it to be more interactive. While, the GPS scene is taking place, we decided to place the ‘Driving’ scene beside it, and have the jeep (from the driving scene) driving repetitively while the audience is interacting with the Baxi/GPS. We also modified the Baxi device; we added a beginning menu option to the device to let the audience/reader interact more, and made it feel like how a real device would seem like. Besides from making the scenes, we also had to make our own music that goes with our scene using Garageband on the iPad.
Me and my certainly certainly did well on the sound effects, so it relates to the scene itself and the sounds we made helped create a mood and atmosphere for the scene. We also did well on making the scenes and sprites (from scratch) move naturally and seem smooth.
We found working with the different scripts and variables from scratch difficult, and also finding ways on how this or that would work on what we would like the scene to be doing. We also found making music on the iPad difficult, since we tried different ways to make the music fit the theme of our scene (suspenseful, mysterious, thrilling).
I and my partner did certainly well on the project, but I definitely think we could improve on extended the length of how long our scene lasts, because our scene was very short even though complicated scripts were used behind it, we could extend it, which would also give the audience the advantage to explore the scene longer too. We can also have some minor improvements on the accuracy or timing on certain parts on when a sprite should show up or do somethings.
I learnt several things about the different modes use, especially, that interactions hook the audiences into the story more, and give them a more interactive idea about the situation in the scene. I also learnt that sounds can make the scene or situation seem more lively or real. We used the different modes to bring the scene alive, with the background music, such used in our project, it makes the audience “feel” what’s going on.
Image Citations; images we used in the Project:
Ba-xi Image (Screen Shot from Scene # 8)