This semester, my art class started a new project. We were given a wooden chair, to begin with. We have to come up with a theme and use what we learned about sculpting and the elements that we learned in class to design our chair sculpture. We can use clay, plaster, tape, cardboard and etc to decorate our chair. The process that we went through to make our chair sculptures were brainstorming our ideas, making the parts of our chair, attaching it and then finishing it. The things that we were assessed on were how strongly attached our chair is, what were the elements that we used (mass, colors, lines, texture, movement, plane, shape and etc). All of these were the things that we learned before starting this project.
We had to follow a design cycle to help us keep track of our time and make sure that we meet all the deadlines. First, we brainstormed any themes that we could think of (fantasy, nightmare, dream, food etc). We then talked about the elements, processes, and methods. The elements we learned were space, line, plane, mass/volume, shape, value, texture, and color. The process we learned were the subtractive process, the additive process, and the kinetic process. We also learned the methods we could use to build our chair, like modeling, casting, construction, assemblage, relief, and kinetic. We also had to search online for tutorials of different sculpture techniques that we could use, like the tape sculpture. We then started sketching rough drafts of what we wanted our chair to look like with our theme in mind. These sketches will eventually help us decide the final design of our chairs. While we were doing our chair sketches, we had to make sure that our chairs were mostly covered, so that there were no big spaces that were not filled in. We also played with the proportions of the objects that we want to put on our chairs. We had to make sure that our chairs look interesting in every angle. We then made our final design of our chair This time, we had to make sure that our design is detailed and colored. We also had to write down what the objects in our designs are made of. After that, we start to build our chairs. We had about 10 weeks on our chairs. We had to start with the biggest parts of our chairs so that they would be made in time. We mainly used cardboard and plaster to make our sculptures. After we were done building all of the parts of our chairs, we had to attach them to our chairs using either plaster or hot glue guns. After everything was properly attached, we were then given time to paint and decorate our chairs. We were allowed to use anything that is in the art room, which includes, wires, spray paints, acrylic paints, cotton balls, discs, and etc. Throughout the whole process, Mrs. Jardin will sometimes go around to check on our process and see what we have accomplished so far. Also, every lesson, we have to use an app called “30 hands” to take a picture of our chair and record us talking about what we have done in that class and what we are planning to do next class; these videos will later be graded by Mrs. Jardin to see our progress. We are also graded by how many elements we have combined into our chair to see what we have learned in this unit, how neat and thoroughly planned our chair is, and our sculptural skills.
Now that we have finished our project, we have made a Skitch poster and a reflection about our whole project. This is a video of the process of my chair :
Here is a Skitch that I made that shows some of the elements that I have used in my chair :
Overall, I am very proud of what I have accomplished because I have never done this big of a project before and there were many things that we had to do, but I managed to finish on time. I think that my strengths were managing my time because there were many things that I had to finish and I found that it is easier to manage your time when you plan what you want to accomplish next class. Another strength is to add more little details onto my chair so that it would look more interesting and full; I had added a few little details to different places, including the discs, to help fill in the gaps on my chair. And my final strength is plastering because I had to plaster so many things throughout the whole process of making this chair. If I had more time I think that I would paint my chair better since I didn’t have a lot of time to paint, I had to paint very fast to finish everything and some of the paint got smudged. I also would probably make more of the small cars to decorate my chair because the sides of my chair look a little bare.
In conclusion, I think that this project was very fun and taught me a lot of new sculpting techniques and vocabulary. I think that my chair sculpture was very good even though I still have things that I could improve on, but I tried my best and made my chair as best as I can. I think the most challenging part of this project was the time. We had to be very careful of time and never waste it during this project because we only had a few weeks to finish it. All of the things we did to make sure that our chairs were ready on time, like planning, managing our time and our organization will help us a lot in the future since we are going to highs chool next year and will be doing a lot more of these types of projects in the future.