In the past quarter (or in my case, the semester), we have been continuously proceeding to complete the last significant project in the class of Art. The project consists of creating a sculpture revolving around a certain theme on top of a chair using the information of sculptures we had been learning about previously. Using the materials that were available to us from the art room such as plaster, styrofoam, wire, clay, and decoration, we carefully followed our design in order to make the finished product. Many of us constructed the largest and most prominent structures with plaster and proceeded to make the other items with various other techniques we learned in the past years of art class of the middle school. Since this project consisted of creating a sculpture, we were mainly assessed on the elements and principles of sculpture. They are line, shape, space, mass, texture, pattern, movement, color, plane, balance, form, scale, value, contrast, repetition, and harmony which we all learned about in the beginning of the whole project.
The process of the making of the design on the chair include the brainstorming, sketching, and finalizing. We first gathered words to represent any possible theme we would be able to base our chairs off of, and it was able to evoke a sense of randomness since the ideas many people considered were out of the box and may have been a little too broad in order to be considered as a theme. To practice designing the chairs, the execution of an activity occurred where we would quickly sketch 3 drastically unique chair designs based off of a given theme such as brushing teeth and ice cream(~!). Due to the fact that this process was very fast paced, it required the students to formulate thought quickly which lead to some very typical ideas. The typical ideas would circulate around the main object being displayed on the seat or front back of the chair. By participating in this activity, we learned that taking the first idea that comes to mind would be disadvantageous since it is usually a little too literal. Afterwards, we shrunk our possible ideas into a few favorites and drew several possible design sketches for our final theme. On top of this, we created a pinterest board for expanding ideas upon the theme and the process of assembling each piece. Finally, we conferenced with the teacher in order to consider certain design and construction points we needed for the design to have potential to be properly created.
As my chair is finally finished, when I look back at it, it looks like a stack of anticlimactic 2 dimensional planes. Other people’s chair can be observed to have different elements of the sculpture interacting with the different levels of the chair including the back portion, the seat portion, and the middle portion. On the other hand, each element of the sculpture on my chair only interacts with the other elements in its domain and it creates an uninteresting piece of artwork. Many of the applied colors stay in their zone without any blending or movement with the other surrounding colours which add to the whole uninteresting atmosphere, and on top of that the construction of each individual piece has several flaws in precision that could have been done more professionally. I wish there were more tiny details on the chair I had originally planned to include especially on the bottom and the back so it would have more emotion and people would enjoy looking at it more than the other pastel-based chairs. To compare to the other side of the inequality, the color palette is quite accurate to the vision I had for the original design. This took countless hours of mixing, painting, repainting, and repainting, the final product ended up with an abundance of leftover paint since I mixed them in large batches being afraid I wouldn’t have enough for a particular section. I was also able to execute hanging the candy from the rainbows quite well without having to puncture a hole in the candy itself as well as accurately placing the fluffy cotton on it since the adhesive isn’t very visible from a distance.
As I look back at this sculpture unit, overall it felt very free since we weren’t given many restrictions upon style, materials, and design elements like some other projects. Even with the same concept everyone had, it was astonishing to be able to observe the visible procedure of everyone constructing their chair and how the chairs began to take life every single class. The whole process was extremely difficult from the start to the finish with every little step requiring the application of new skills and precision. All of us were manufacturing different parts of our chairs at the same time, so it was quite challenging by the method of observing what other people were doing being taken away. Similar to almost all of the large projects executed in the class of art, I did not complete it in the given time frame plus an extension, so once again, it taught me about time management. I came in several time after school to attempt to complete the project, the details caught up to me and I wasn’t able to finish in time despite the constant cutting away and simplification of the design. I probably should have finished the smaller details at home to maximize productive time spent on the chair during school hours.