…when you cross a cat and a mirror?
A SCRATCH REFLECTION.
(I know, I used an old joke of mine.)
1. What are the strengths of this work?
I think my game is pretty good in music choices and atmosphere. I tried as best as I could to make the first level seem like the epicness of an Aperture Science Laboratory, the abandoned street in Level 2 to feel dark and dangerous, and the last level to seem dank and creepy.
I don’t think I did a very good job with the story of the game, and it might leave the player confused of the plot and what is really happening. Also, it has its glitches, like when you try to shoot the turret in the first level it takes a while before it actually disappears (if it does at all) and Chell (the main character) might actually fall through the floor when walking on it for too long.
3.What do you like or not like about this piece of work?
I am exceptionally proud of this project and I spent many hours working on it, testing it out. It’s not the best, but I really like how it all came together.
4. What challenges did you have when creating this piece of work?
I think I had the most trouble trying to work out the <scroll> function because it was supposed to be a scroll game. It was also hard to code the reaction of Chell shooting water at the enemies, going hand in hand with the sound, the reaction time, and overall result.
….just kidding. I hate pie charts. Moving on.
Well, a week ago the eighth grade took a survey on what Creative Commons licence we would put on our blog since we were learning about Creative Commons and copyright just recently. I have gathered the results of the questionnaire and wrote an overview and summary of them so it could be comprehended by the anons viewing this page (and because Mr. Bertoia told us to. I don’t see why anybody else would care.) This data may not be very accurate since I doubt that people were really thinking much about the survey and simply clicked a random option to get it over with…I know some people who did. This introduction is pretty long, so I’ll end it right here.
As promised, an overview: The most popular licences were “Attribution-NonCommercial” and “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike”. I had picked the licence “Attribution” because I didn’t really care what people use my blog for, as long as I’m credited. The least popular option was “Other” but I guess it should be obvious why, so I’m not even going to mention that. The second least popular licence was “Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs”.
I have to tell you, when I took up the challenge to design, draw, color, and edit the comic, I thought it was going to be fine. I thought that I had plenty of time to finish this project. Don’t get me wrong, this was a ridiculously fun comic to make, but I literally spent at least seven hours working on all of the pages. Each page took about a day and a half of my free time, and even then I had to beg my mom to let me stay up late to finish them. The characters, Bob, Ken, and Mr. L, were at first pretty boring and average to me, like characters I could think up of in te seconds. But as the comic progressed, I found myself getting more in depth with their personalities, and soon they developed into decent characters in my mind. I drew and colored the comic on Paint Tool SAI, a program that most young, modern artists use because of its simple design and useful tools. I then inserted the text through Photoshop. I’d say that this project was one of the hardest to make in middle school, and also one of the funnest to make as well.
(You know, I kind of wonder what the rest of my group will say for this blog post. They didn’t have anything to do with the making of the comic, afterall.)