We are not sure why one of our grasshoppers died, however the other one which was dying off when we unsealed our ecodome, we are pretty concerned it started to die off because the food sources became scarce. A few hours before we unsealed the ecodome, the grasshopper was alive, but it had no food sources. It was probably suffering from hunger and not receiving enough energy it needed, and by the time we unsealed our ecodome, it was in it’s range of going to die soon.
Compared to the other attempts, we did not have any trouble with the amount of water we had have put in. Our tender plants were fresh, and the ecodome was not too dry nor it was not too humid.
Reflection and Research:
According to research, grasshoppers are able to survive 2-3 days without consuming any food sources it needs. After the days, the grasshopper is not able to function, because it hasn’t received the energy it is needed. To prevent our grasshoppers from dying off from hunger, we should be aware of having enough food source in our ecodome. So the next time we build, we would put in an abundant amount of food sources for the grasshoppers to consume.
In research, it came out that biodomes (ecodomes) need an interaction between biotic factors (crickets in our case), and abiotic factors which are the sunlight, soil, and water. As long as both factors exist inside our ecodome then our crickets will be able to survive.
However, we should be concern of not bringing in any dead plants. If we bring in dead plants, then one of our biotic factors are gone. Also, they can not go through their process of photosynthesis to produce oxygen for the grasshoppers to breathe in.
Grasshoppers prefer dry and open habitat with a lot of grass. Throughout our attempts, we worked on having lots of area for the garsshoppers to play around, but we didn’t really have grass in our ecodome (when the grasshoppers actually prefered them). Since research says grasshoppers like grass, in our next ecodome attempt, we should try adding some grass in.
Grasshoppers eat a variety of foods. They prefer vegetables, however they also eat wheat. So next time, it would be better if we added all of these different kinds of food sources, so the grasshoppers would also have a happy time eating.
Changes Made on the Day (3rd Ecodome to Final):
- Used gardening soil because it was the most suitable type of soil that goes with the tender plants.
- We filled 1/4 of our ecodome with moisturized soil.
- We added pebbles back in to make our ground thicker in our ecodome.
- We tried adding the grass back in to provide the best habitat for the grasshoppers
- We tried adding a variety of food soucres. We added cabbages, bread, and oatmeals. We made sure we had added enough food sources so the grasshopper wouldn’t die because of hunger.
- Instead of adding two tender plants, we added one. Although we were concerned about the lack of oxygen it might have, we decided to add more food sources than the tender plants.
- We added one grasshopper because throughout all the other attempts, we always had one survive and one die (probably because of food source), so we thought it would have been better to just start with one.