“Nearly 250 million children are engaged in child labor around the world, 70 percent, or some 170 million-are working in agriculture” (Backgrounder). This means that the other 30% is suffering from working in either factories, or other dangerous jobs other than agriculture. But back then agriculture used to be ‘good, clean outside work’ and kids tend to pinch in, to help relieve the workload (Child Farmworkers). Nowadays, it’s one of the most dangerous jobs for a child to work in agriculture, with heavy machinery, sharp tools, work in positions that could damage your growth and body, and pesticide for the plants, for both migrant children and all of the kids that work on farms (Child Farmworkers). Some countries like America, have Child Labor Law, but when it was made, it left a big hole for the agriculture workers, because back then most of the American families are still farmers, but not today. So that allow the kids to start working at a far younger age than use, for unlimited numbers of hours, as long as their parents allow this, and these farms hire them. But it’s a risk to their health, education, and freedom, especially when you get them to work during the summer (HRW Support care). So in this essay, I’ll be talking about the child labor that is happening in America, difference between that to a developing country, and what we could do to stop it.
First is about an article from Human Right’s Watch, it talks about the child labor that is happening in America. Which is 300,000 to 400,000 kids from America to 250 million kids around the world, as it was said in the video. 3 or 4 hundreds of thousands of kids, and most of them are working on commercial farms, using sharp tools, dangerous pesticides, and in positions that could affect their health and body (Child Farmworkers). But the US, is one of the lucky developed countries, other places like Laos and Cambodia are still developing, so they suffer much worse than what America is being through.
Second is about the 3 differences between an already developed country like America, to a developing country, like Haiti . First is the death rate, a developed country would have low death rate, because they have more access to clean drinkable water, easy access to medication for diseases, good housing conditions, and plenty of food to eat (Scalloway). Next is, the birth rate, developing countries would have high birth rates, because of the larger families would expect their children to help work paying their debt and to put food on the table (Scalloway). Finally is the employment system, developing countries would have a hard time employing people, because most of them have little to none education, and most of what they know apply to farming. (Difference Between Developed and Developing Countries)
Lastly, is about what we could do to stop child labor, in the article HRW, Human Rights Watch, support care, it talks a bit about the CARE act, also known as the Children Act for Responsible Employment. It was supposed to help apply same rules on agriculture kids as the rules on normal working teens, with age and hour restriction of work, but leaving a small hole for kids to work on their family farm. I think this is a great idea, meaning kids can finally have the time to get back into school and get the education that they need.
So, the States is not the only one suffering, a country would at one point. Just some help from those who notice and willing to help, it could change people’s perspective of what they see in the world.
“Agricultural Child Labor.” 2009. 28 May. 2012 <http://www.ncfh.org/docs/fs-Child%20Labor.pdf>
Backgrounder: Child Labor in Agriculture | Africa Portal.” 2012. 28 May. 2012 <http://www.africaportal.org/dspace/articles/backgrounder-child-labor-agriculture>
“Child labour in agriculture.” 2007. 28 May. 2012 <http://www.ilo.org/ipec/areas/Agriculture/lang–en/index.htm>
“Child Farmworkers in the United States: A “Worst Form of Child Labor”.” 2011. 28 May. 2012 <http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/11/17/child-farmworkers-united-states-worst-form-child-labor>
“Differences Between Developed and Developing Countries.” 28 May. 2012 <http://www.scalloway.org.uk/popu6.htm>
“HRW: Child Labor in US Agriculture – Rural Migration News …” 2010. 28 May. 2012 <http://migration.ucdavis.edu/rmn/more.php?id=1559_0_6_0>