In the course of our lifetime, we believe that it is only fair to break bonds from one another when the time comes. We, the student body accept as true that we have been neglected long enough that we must break the ties between us and the school. Although SSIS has been a huge stepping stool in our future successes, we as kids still need our free will as the school rules have become too firm. Before our break up, and taking $25,000 out of your bank account let us explain ourselves and justify our actions.
Declaration of Rights:
We believe that we as human beings have the rights to control most of the aspects of our significantly short lived lives. As the rights were bestowed upon us by the Creator at the second of birth, the right of liberty, life and the free pursuit of happiness. A rulebook about 50 pages long, and only about 10 ounces in weight has already crushed our liberty, life and the pursuit of happiness. Schools are established for a safe, fun, well-rounded place for kids to establish a sturdy healthy future, yet with these strictly enforced rules not much could be said or done about our learning methods. Therefore if the kids are in charge we will make school a more fun environment for everyone, yet still have some of the needed rules enforced and come up with our individual learning strategies, as only we, know ourselves better than anyone else.
List of Grievances:
We don’t want to disrespect anyone in the process of our break up, but things have come to a point where we have to speak up for ourselves. I would like to clarify that we do not loathe nor despise SSIS and its teachers, as for some of us including myself SSIS has became my second home. But as times get rough, with such a long time line of unwarranted treatment you leave us no choice.
– Our uniform, I.D cards, netbook bags leave us nowhere to show our individuality and qualities as it makes us looks like mindless drones in your control. The only parts of ourselves that we are able to represent is our shoe, bags and hair. Which is why I think that we should be able to have casual wear once or twice a week.
– You imprison us from the use of our school grounds, the elementary playground to be exact as we are only allowed to set foot on it on Wednesdays in a 45 minute time frame not minusing the time that we need for us to eat.
– Our school is over priced as the lunches increase money every year, last year we complained about our over priced lunch and you told us that you would change the caterers yet you changed it to something even more expensive.
– Our personalities/ judgements are based on our grades/ GPA/ and test scores
– We need more social school activities like fundraisers to prove to the student body how lucky and privileged we are and at the same time help out others in need.
– We should support our school sports team more, I think that we should be able to skip classes on city tournaments day to support our sports team. I also think that MRISA should be free as we are volunteering to represent our school.
– We should have two WWW, one at the beginning of the year so that we can get to know each other better and bond before school starts getting intense and one at the end of the year as it gives us something to look forward to for the rest of the year.
– The rules are too strictly enforced, leaving us no room to make mistakes, as we go around walking in fear as we are too scared about making a mistake, no matter how small. Sometimes being tardy in a fraction of a minute still counts as a tardy, or bringing your bag in class, or not having your netbook bag can get you in trouble, which I think is unnecessary to enforce such small things to such a mannor.
Statements of prior attempts to redress grievances:
Mutiple attempts have been made by the student body as some issues have been resolved like being able to use the elementary playground, although we are only allowed to on wednesdays it is still a huge accomplishment for the student body. The number of dances also has been increased to three dances per year, which we are really happy about, but there are still some grievances that I have listed above that still haven’t been able to reach through to you. We complain to you on several attempts as a few others have tried last year, writing letters like mine to you, as you have responded to some of the issues but still leaving some behind, which is why I would like to adress you about it and finish the chain of unfinished events up.
Declaration of Independence:
Therefore, we the students of SSIS assembled secretly on the top of the spider web *NOT ON WEDNESDAY* decided that we must break free in the name of our Creator. We declare in the name of the Student body free and independent! As we have listed our grievances above, from how you take away importance aspects of our lives in example of representing us for who we are not, you have re enforced rules too strictly that we cannot budge without fear, you bring up the prices that we must pay to add in the huge piggy bank that you already have. We’re being faced with choices we must make, to this extent you give us no choice but to break the chains of bonds, the long line of pinky promises and go our own way. Even if we have to put up our dignity, faith, honor and our tet money. GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!